Saturday, September 1, 2012

4: Shelby-ism


When it comes to political ideals and thinking, I’m not one who normally jumps in and gives my piece. I’m actually pretty quiet and relaxed about most things people raise hell about. Sure, I have my own opinion about things, but I don’t think it’s anything to get excited about. I try not to put myself in a specific subgroup like “Republican” or “Democrat” because most of the time I don’t fully agree with any party.

When I took the test, it put me in a group that most would cringe at if they saw it. I was put in the Liberal- Authoritarian group, or Communism. But I realized that it might not be such a bad thing. Communism puts the community’s needs first, which is something that I’ve done my whole life. Being the oldest in a large family practically trains you to think of the group before yourself. You lose all individualism with that. I don’t however see myself as being all in when it comes to the place I was put. Communally rather than individually isn’t always how it should be. Some people’s needs outweigh the needs of everyone else and need to be looked out specifically instead of generally.

So, by taking the test, looking at the readings, and thinking about where I thought I stood, I realized that I’m more of a melting pot of sorts. I take in what every one is saying and trying to get others to believe and piece it together to make my own. Not one party or group is 100% right on any subject, so putting yourself in with them fully is a HUGE commitment, almost bigger than marriage. Where you set yourself can define you for the rest of your life. I don’t think I’m interested or ready to make that kind of commitment when it comes to what I believe for the rest of my life. So, for right now, I guess I’m in my own one-man philosophy, Shelby-ism.

No comments:

Post a Comment